· Runs an efficient and profitable service department through productive staffing, customer retention, cost controls, achievement of objectives, and maintenance of all service records. Ensures that the daily inventory of technicians' time is consistently sold to service customers.
· Forecasts goals and objectives for the department and strives to meet them.
· Hires, trains, motivates, counsels and monitors the performance of all service department staff.
· Prepares and administers an annual operating budget for the service department.
· Maintains reporting systems required by general management and the factory.
· Attends managers meetings.
· Monitors and controls the performance of the department using appropriate reports, tracking systems and surveys.
· Strives for harmony and teamwork within the department and with all other departments.
· Understands and ensures compliance with manufacturer warranty and policy procedures.
· Accounts for all documents; ensures that none are missing, and all are processed correctly.
· Holds weekly department meetings.
· Directs and schedules the activities of all department employees.
· Facilitates and/or conducts technical training and sends employees to appropriate training schools as needed.
· Monitors technicians' daily productivity reports and corresponding payroll records.
· Monitors and follows up on parts orders with the parts manager to ensure availability.
· Initials all repair orders before submitting them to the warranty department, monitoring for sales and hours relative to expectations.
· Establishes and maintains good working relationships with customers to encourage repeat and referral business.
· Informs repair technicians of time allowances on each repair order.
· Maintains high-quality service repairs and minimizes comebacks. Conducts periodic spot checks of completed jobs for thoroughness and quality.
· Keeps abreast of new equipment and tools available and recommends purchases.
· Establishes and maintains good working relationships with vocational and technical schools to enhance personnel recruitment activities.
· Ensures that all customers are greeted promptly and given fair estimates on costs and time required for repairs and maintenance.
· Handles customer complaints immediately and according to dealership's guidelines.
· Maintains safe work environment.
· Maintains a professional appearance.
· Other tasks as assigned.